Friday, August 24, 2012

Two 5 Minute Organizing Tips for Under $10

I know that our lives can get pretty crazy sometimes, and also that neither of us function well whenever we feel like the house is cluttered. So I thought I would show you just a couple quick, easy and cheap tips that we use to cut out some of the clutter around here.

The first idea is for all those coupons and samples that you don't want to lose but don't know what to do with, so they end up on the table, counter, or in a junk drawer where they never get used because you can't remember what you actually did with them. *Disclaimer: I am not a professional couponer; I don't think I would even qualify in the amateur leagues, I simply cut the ones that we are most likely to use and I don't go out of my way to find them, so I have maybe a total of 15 at any one time. I guess I could be a recreational couponer.* Here is the solution that we came up with for all those pesky papers that you know you should keep around and use but never know where to put them.

 
Yep, that's it! A couple of cork boards hung up on the inside of the cabinet with command strips. You can find cork squares just about anywhere. I think we got these at Target a couple years ago for about $7 for a pack of four squares. Now whenever we want to order pizza or go to Target (a very frequent event in our house) we know where to look for any deals that are to be had. I also organize the coupons by restaurant or store too, so that they don't take up a ton of room on the cork boards and I can just look through the stack when I know I am going to a certain place. And the great thing is that since they are inside the cabinet they are hidden when people come over instead of being out on a counter or hung up on the fridge.

The next handy little trick I actually learned on Pinterest. This is the original link that I came up with, but since they linked back to Pinterest for it we may never know who the genius is that first came up with this idea.


The concept is so simple that as soon as I saw it I thought to myself  "How have I never thought of this?!". I love scarves, but until I saw this I had never found a good way to store them since they take up so much space in a drawer or basket and then you have to dig to find the one that you want. Well this handy little scarf organizer takes all the pain out of storing scarves. And all it cost was a couple of bucks to get the cheap-o shower curtain rings at, where else? Target. It is a very simple process, just take the shower curtain rings, attach them to a hanger (you could use a wooden hanger if you want it to be a little sturdier, I just went with what I had on hand), and then drape your scarves through. It really can't get much simpler or cheaper than that.



I hung it from a hook that I already had on my closet door, but you could just as easily hang it on your closet bar or your coat closet so that they are right there when you are ready to head out of the house.

So there you have it, two surprisingly easy and inexpensive ways to cut down a little on the clutter in your life. I hope you find them just as helpful as we do, and if you have any other simple and inexpensive tips for cutting the clutter please feel free to share them in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment