Thursday, September 19, 2013

Simple and Sweet Handmade Art

I actually made both of the projects I am going to show you today over a year ago, but they are still some of my favorite projects and I feel like they really added a little more character and hominess to our gallery wall in the back room. I got the idea for the first piece of art from a sweet friend who has since moved away, but who is awesome when it comes to upcycling things. She made a button monogram like this for her house and posted the picture on Facebook, and after seeing the idea I just had to copy it.


I actually even got all of my buttons from her too. It was a very simple process. First, I found a font on the computer that I liked the look of the "S". Next I just printed, cut, and traced it onto my painted canvas.


Next I simply laid out the buttons that I wanted to use to figure out exactly where they should all be glued. I stayed roughly within the same color pallet for this project, but I'm sure a mix of colors would be fun too. After laying out the buttons in an order that I liked I simply hot glued them onto the canvas and slapped it into a frame. BAM, done. And yes, the rhinoceros button in the center is my favorite part of the whole thing.


The next project was another little piece of framed art, but I got this idea off of pinterest. It is actually meant to be a Valentine's Card, and was originally from here, but when I saw it I thought it would make a super sweet piece of art.  You start by punching small holes through the grey dots.



After punching all the holes out pick your color of embroidery floss. I went with a simple off-white to keep the art neutral and able to be put up in pretty much any room.


The next step was just a simple cross stitch, and since the original post had such great directions I will let you check it out  right from the source on how to do the stitches where they look the best. 



It now holds a spot of honor on our gallery wall, along with the button monogram. I love them both, and I love the warm fuzzy feeling I get from having homey stuff hanging alongside family pictures and more professional art in there; the eclectic feel just makes it more unique and personal.



No comments:

Post a Comment