Friday, April 29, 2011

Where Have You Been All My Life?

How have I not known how wonderful spray paint is until just in the past few months? Seriously, I'm loving me some spray paint these days and today I'm back with another spray painting triumph (you can read about the butler tray triumph here).

I got these great candlesticks at a garage sale for only 25 cents! Can you believe it?! It was love at first sight, so I snatched them right up, knowing that with a little love (in the form of some Valspar spray paint) they would be good as new.


I actually picked these up a few months ago, I was just a little slow in posting it. Jake wasn't so sure about them at first, but when he saw the finished product he had to agree that they were a great buy. Since we weren't sure how well the spray paint would stick to the slick metal we decided to rough them up a little before painting. So we got out our handy, dandy dremel tool and got to work sanding.


It was actually one of the few times I've used the dremel, so I was having a good old time with it. After a little while of roughing up the candlesticks they were looking a little something like this.


Now they were ready for the paint. We decided on black to put them in the living room and Jake was a little afraid that white might look kind of cheap, so I grabbed our can of black spray paint and got to work.            


I was a little afraid of the detail on them, but they really weren't hard to paint at all. Here's a look at one with the first coat on next to the unpainted one.


Here's how they ended up after I finished with all three coats of spray paint (I probably could have gotten away with two coats, but I did an extra for good measure).



Don't they look great? I still can't get over the fact I got them for just a quarter. And for real, where has the spray paint been all my life? I really had the urge to open up our dining table as long as it would go and then set one candlestick on each end and eat dinner facing each other at opposite ends of the table feeling all fancy like that (while speaking in a British accent of course), but then I decided that I would prefer to actually be able to talk to Jake during dinner, so I nixed that idea. I still love the way they look perched on our tv though, and if I someday find the slightly wider and thinner tv stand that I'm looking for I know they will look great sitting up on top of it. Until then I'll just dream about being all fancy and speaking with a British accent, especially after watching the Royal Wedding this morning...

Any other spray paint fanatics out there? Or maybe some spray paint failures? Please feel free to share with us, we love a good story.

2 comments:

  1. Just today I made some dessert stands with candle sticks and some thrifted plates, a can of primer, and a can of glossy white spray paint, but I held the spray paint can too close (because it was so windy outside!) and now I have really bad spray paint runs/drips. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great project Elaina! And I know what you mean about holding the spray paint too close because of the wind, I've done the same thing. I would try taking a very fine grit sand paper to them and sand lightly by hand. Hopefully you can even out the drips that way, then just paint on another nice thin coat on a less windy day. Hope everything works out for you!

    ReplyDelete